Everybody starts woodworking as a complete novice. Introduction to Woodworking is the first step toward making woodworking a part of your life. You never know, it may become a passion. This class puts you to work right away learning about tools and materials and how to buy and use them. You will walk away with some great projects too.
In this class you can expect to:
- Discover the basics of hand tools like hand saws, hand planes, spoke shaves, chisels, rasps and files.
- Familiarize yourself with how these tools work.
- Practice making accurate measurements on your piece of wood and preparing it for work.
- Learn about wood itself - hardness, grain and what qualities to look for when purchasing wood.
- Get a feel for different types of wood and how properties such as hardness and grain affects your work.
- Learn the ins and outs of going to the lumber yard, how to choose your wood, and what to avoid.
- Develop your joinery skills using both hand tools and router to make clean and attractive joints.
- Learn how to safely use drill press, band saw and router.
- Get these skills while you make a small box and carved spoon.
If you’ve been considering woodworking as a hobby or craft to investigate, or something to add to your artistic repertoire, this is the class for you. If you allow it, woodworking can transform your life. It will slow you down, draw out your creativity, and give you a sense of satisfaction lacking in our computer lives. It can become something that keeps your brain and hands going for the rest of your life.